Saturday, July 10, 2010

Team Hero

Each team, each season, has a team hero.  Our team hero is Ed.  We met him at Kick-off back in May.  I suspect he's been around a few other times, but I've been around for team practices only off and on.   Ed came to send us off on our long run this morning.  Ed is in remission from Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  Ed shared with us today that the research that LLS does saved his life.  They conducted research on the drug that saved Ed from the aggressive cancer that he was diagnosed with in 2004.

I don't know Ed well, but there's a genuineness about him.  The connections in my life are much closer than I imagined they would be when I first started thinking about running with TNT.  My own cousin Pat who continues to show incredible strength week after week.  KayKay's dad who also shows incredible strength week after week.  But it's powerful to have Ed join us periodically.  I don't see Pat or KayKay's dad - I keep up with them through blogs and family members, but it's still one step removed.  Ed makes it very real.   

So today's run was tough.  Not sure that I've had a run recently that actually felt good.  But it's nothing compared to Chemo, of that I am certain.  I made it through 8.5 miles.  Turns out my average pace was a tad bit faster than the last long run.  That means the training is paying off.  Now I just need to pay better attention to the diet and I should see miraculous results.  It does feel good to be running with a purpose again.

So thank you again!  I am lucky to call so many generous spirits my friends and family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment