Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Isn't the track supposed to hurt?

I did my second track workout yesterday with the Team.  I know I need to find a way to consistently hit the track - if not with the group, then I need to do the workout on my own.  It'll make me faster.

Last night we did our usually ~1 walk/warmup.  I was nervous because it was hot.  I don't do well in the heat.  The workout was a successively faster group of 4x800 with a 400 recovery.  I ran every one of my 800's too fast.  My first one was supposed to be a 5:12; I ran a 4:35.  Next one was supposed to be a 4:52; I ran another 4:30ish.  My third one was supposed to be 4:30 and I ran that one in 4:20.  My last one was supposed to be a 4:20 and, you guessed it, I ran that one in 4:10.  And I didn't feel exhausted, beat up or generally spit out the way a track workout usually makes you feel.  And it was HOT.  Did I mention that?

Not sure what this means, actually.  My long runs have been between 9:30 and 10:30 pace.  Definitely much closer to the 10 minute/mile pace more often.  So why is the track so easy?  I fear posing that question.  Especially when my long runs are hard.

Had to scurry out early to get home and study for class tonight.

Loving this Team in Training program, though.  And I'm pretty darn close to reaching my fundraising goal, so if you've been meaning to donate now is the time!

Happy Running!

1 comment: