Monday, June 7, 2010

Why TNT?

Sometime early in the new year a friend and fellow runner told me about her experience running with Team in Training. It was at a time in my life when I was craving change and I was looking at wholesale change - maybe job, maybe city, maybe state - as well as looking at alternative volunteer efforts because what I was doing wasn't really fulfilling any longer and my motivation was waning. So I tucked that conversation away and as the spring unfolded and my searching did too, I decided to attend an informational meeting. Much was still uncertain in my life at that meeting, but the TNT folks were enthusiastic but not pushy. There was no hard sell, just encouragement and personal stories of how powerful the experience was for each of them. I've seen many TNT support groups at races I've run. They're loud and colorful and unbelievably motivating - even for those of us not running for the cause. So when things in my life settled down and I recognized that I would be staying right where I am, the first thing I did was commit to TNT.

Turns out that there are even more personal reasons to do this. My mom's cousin, Pat, was recently diagnosed with Lymphoma. Pat and Sid used to live in Boston and early in my Colorado College career, I recruited in Boston. Pat and Sid always took me out for dinner - usually lobster. Once, I even locked my keys in the rental car in front of their house. I can't remember how Sid got the car unlocked, but he did. It was SO nice to have familiar people in Boston - a place that overwhelmed me at the time and still holds some of my recruiting nightmares. Pat and Sid always welcomed me - to stay at their home, or just to go out to dinner depending upon my schedule. And I remember those lobster dinners fondly. The place wasn't glamorous, but boy was the lobster good and the company, too! Pat and Sid are now in sunny Southern California, so the next trip won't be for lobster, but maybe for some other yummy seafood and good company. And a walk around the neighborhood. I marvel at the energy that Pat has while undergoing treatment - she has a strength that I so admire.

So to run in honor of Pat this fall is the least that I can do.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for helping us to keep up with you on the page if not on the road. And thanks for bringing back so many lovely memories. And here is a picture of the honoree.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete